Saturday, November 30, 2013

Flying Unicorn "Magic" Reveal - Part 1

Hello bloggers! How do you blog - are you super organized and have all your blog posts scheduled a week or more in advance, or do you tend to take it down to the wire and blog at the last minute and hit publish right away?

I generally prepare a couple of my beginning of the month posts a day or so in advance, then paste the others in a mad scramble as I go, and the first couple of days of the month are fraught with anxiety as I tend to get everything posted everywhere. This month I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and - gasp! - I am writing this post on November 26th even though it won't go live until December 1st. With Christmas fast approaching I'm hoping that getting little things done ahead of time will help to stave off the last minute panic.

Here is my first project with the December Flying Unicorn Kit of the Month - Magic. I was really excited to see the Marion Smith Designs Nirvana papers in this kit as it is one of my favorite lines of the year, but I was a little stumped by the Pink Paislee Color Wash papers as I don't do negative space well. My solution? Throw a bunch of media at it and keep it up until I was happy with it! Lots of stencilling, painting and inking here for a truly dramatic result. I took my color scheme from the shirts Brennan and Colby are wearing (I wish Elliot was in the picture, too, but trying to get a picture of all three of them seems to be an elusive dream).


I began by stencilling with gesso through a chevron stencil in the top right, then misted through the same stencil. To get a more subdued chevron pattern at the bottom of the page, I pressed the wet side of the stencil onto the paper.  I then colored the rest of the background with Distress Ink and an ink blending tool.


For pops of color I painted and dribbled Twinkling H2Os onto the page - I love how vibrant they are. The blue checker pattern was achieved with Silks through a Prima mask.  You can also see a hint of cheesecloth applied with Gel Medium below the flowers in the photo above.


I love the purple stars! This is one of the new Tim Holtz layering stencils with Shaded Lilac Distress Ink.


The sweet sentiment is fussy cut from one of the Kaisercraft papers in the main kit.

The Magic Kit of the Month is available in the Flying Unicorn Store now - get yours before they're all gone!

Thank you for stopping in today!

Supplies:

From the Kit of the Month and Add-Ons:

- Pink Paislee Color Wash: "Shine" & "Bright"
- Pink Paislee Color Wash: Embellishments (frames)
- Kaisercraft Enchanted Garden: "Rapture"
- Pink Paislee Color Wash banners
- Petaloo Textured Mini Blossoms
- Prima Lucido flowers
- Shimmerz Dimensionz Blue Lagoon

From my stash:

- Prima 12x12 Chevron mask
- Gesso
- Shimmerz mists: Tuscan Sun, Caribbean Sunset & Pop Art Pink
- Splash of Color Silks: Blue Flame
- Splash of Color Twinkling H2Os: Periwinkle, Orange Peel, Mandarine Citrine
- Distress Inks: Rusty Hinge, Squeezed Lemonade, Picked Raspberry, Shaded Lilac, Weathered Wood, Black Soot
- Stabilo Aquarellable Black & White pencils
- Doodlebug Twine

No comments: