Saturday, May 18, 2013

Walled Garden *** Flying Unicorn Use Your Stash Challenge ***

Today I'm sharing a project I've prepared for Flying Unicorn's Use Your Stash Challenge.  I think we're all guilty, to one extent or another, of hoarding scrappy products.  Something new comes out that we have to have, but once we have it, we can't stand to use it, holding out for that "perfect" project.  This month if you use items from your stash you are eligible to win a $25 gift certificate to the Flying Unicorn Store so you can stock up on more "must haves".

Some projects spring to mind fully formed, and this was one of those projects.  Right before Mother's Day someone stole my stepmom's bird bath from her front yard; when I saw this cute little birdcage candle holder I couldn't resist making her a new birdbath which would be a lot harder to steal.


The wire candle holder and blue butterflies are new, but the rest of the project is all from my stash.


The Prima Divine roses are pretty new, but the yellow fabric rose in the center is about 18 months old. 


I wanted to achieve a walled garden feel. The grass is Fun Flock that I've had forever, and the gravel is Stampendous Fran-tage Fragements.  The pedestal for the birdbath is the air dry Paper Clay from the November 2012 kit of the month, while the basin and bird are Ingvild Bolme resins.  I used hot glue to make the water in the basin.


I'm guilty of investing in dies and seldom pulling them out; I have been working to remedy this as dies are such a quick and easy way to make custom embellies to fit any project.  The vines here are two La-La Land Dies I've had since last fall; the rose die is a fairly new acquisition, though they are misted with mists I've had for a while.  And all the cardstock?  Hoarded from previous kits.


I've hoarded this Prima vine for over a year - it is undoubtedly my favorite, and I've been loathe to part with it until now.  But I'm thrilled with how it looks on my project, and I've freed up room on my Clip-It-Up for new purchases!  After all, summer CHA is just around the corner.

This project is truly pulled from bits of this and that I've pulled from my stash; very little of it was from one kit or purchase, and it is an example of how you can pull disparate elements together into a cohesive whole.

I hope you'll play along - you can enter as many projects as you'd like, and clear out space for new scrappy goodies while you do it!

No comments: