This month's kit is soft and vintage girly. I usually find a way to "boy up" any kit, but this one definitely deserved a feminine treatment, so I pulled out this photo of my beautiful niece, Kailey, taken when she was about 6.
I began my layout by scraping on some gesso, then built it up with stencilling with heavy gesso sprinkled with the Perfect Pearls and Pearl Ex from the kit.
The Kaisercraft Edges stamp is perfect for adding strips of texture - I can see it becoming a staple for me. I used it to add some extra texture to the paper strips behind my photo, as well as to give the edges the layout a more worn appearance.
The purple blooms from the kit are divine, and I pulled in one of the Petaloo Burlap flowers in Fuchsia from last month's kit for a pop of colour to coordinate with my niece's dress. Just adding that one small coloured accent can really help to blend your photo to your layout, even when both have a different colour scheme. Because the colours in my photo are fuchsia and teal, whereas those on my layout are purple, green and light pink, I needed a unifying element to marry the two together.
I finished the layout off by adding a couple touches with the Prima Color Bloom mists from the kit; sponging on the Gold Foil and flicking on the Iris.
Thank you for stopping in today! Remember, with a new month comes the launch of a slew of new challenges on the Flying Unicorn Forums. Everyone is welcome to play, you can use up your stash (after all, you have to make room for the new summer releases, don't you?) and there are generous RAKs up for grabs for each challenge. I hope to see you there!
From the Kit of the Month and Add-Ons
- Pion My Precious Daughter "My Daughter", "Borders"
- Hero Arts "Leaf and Flourish" stencil
- Pearl Ex "Grey Lavender"
- Perfect Pearls "Interference Red"
- Petaloo Botanica Floral Ephemera - Lavender/Purple
- Prima Ingvild Bolme Resin Frames #892111
- Santoro London Mergirl Buttons
- Prima Resins - Fairy
- Prima Color Bloom sprays: Gold Foil, Iris
- Kaisercraft Stamp: Edges
- Pearl Trim
From My Stash
- Liquitex Super Heavy Gesso
- Petaloo Textured Elements Burlap Blossoms Fuchsia
- Prima Chalk Edgers: Metallic Purple, Sweet Pea, Branch Bark
- 13 Arts Matte Paints: Cocoa & Sand