Friday, January 11, 2013

Shabby Newborn Layout *** Flying Unicorn Jan KOM ***

When my Flying Unicorn kit arrives every month, it feel like the scene where Indiana Jones opens the treasure chest and a golden light pours forth while triumphant music plays.  The Creative Team have no idea what is arriving in our kit each month and as mine creeps its way across the Continent in a brown UPS truck other CT members tease Shona and I mercilessly about how wonderful the kits are, without divulging the contents.

Shabby chic is extremely difficult for me, but these gorgeous Fancy Pants Country Bouquet papers from the January Flying Unicorn Kit Of The Month were the perfect jumping off point for a newborn picture of my youngest son.


I edged my papers with Prima Chalk Ink in Branch Bark, my go-to distressing ink.  I have used this one so often that it is falling apart and I will have to replace it soon.

To keep with the soft color palette, I used the Lake Mist Paint Dabber included in the main kit to tone down the FabScraps chipboard butterflies, Kaisercraft wood flourish and corrugated cardstock from the kit.  Hitting papers and accents with some paint, gesso or Picket Fence Distress Stain is one of my favorite ways to get elements to blend together on the page.


Once the butterflies and flourish were dry I edged them in chalk ink and added Stickles in Diamond to make them sparkle.


For a little added visual interest, I used Liquid Pearls on the butterfly bodies and on random places on my banners.


In addition to the gorgeous lace included in the Main Kit, which I've used across the page under my picture, the Embellishment Add-On came with a package of 5 different laces from Kaisercraft; I used one of them in the banner above underneath a jewelled chain from my stash.


The gold frame is a found item that I fussy cut from a Norwex catalog and coated with some Diamond Stickles; I also edged the "Me & You" diecut with Stickles to tie everything together.  I finished the tag off with a Prima Zipper Pull that says "Love You".

Here are my other layouts from the kit; as you can see it is a very versatile kit!


Kit contents along with layers of washi tape and Tim Holtz Tissue Tape.


Kit contents along with some Dusty Attic (soon to be restocked in the store), mists, inks and twine from my stash.


Kit contents along with drywall tape, Mini Tile Texture mask, Petaloo Canterbury Vine Spray, Tim Holtz Metal Embellishment, Prima Industrial Lamps and washi tape from my stash.

I hope you've picked up your Carpe Diem kit - you'll be amazed at the creativity it will unleash.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You did such a fabulous job with this kit, Jackie! All of your pages are so different, I really really love the first one, how precious!!