Tuesday, March 4, 2014

WCYDW Tutorial - Worry Free Misting



Hi Unis! It's Jax here with another instalment of What Can You Do Wednesday. Today I'm going to share a simple technique that changed my mixed media experience from one fraught with anxiety (am I going to spoil this layout I've spent hours working on when I mist or paint on it?) to one that is virtually worry free. I am going to teach you how to make your misting mishaps erasable. I am also going to introduce you to a fabulous new media in the Flying Unicorn Store: Clear Gesso.





Here is a layout I made using the gesso background technique. I started with one of the subtly textured white Authentique papers from the March kit and coated it in clear gesso, then misted through the stencil from the kit using 13 Arts Sky Blue Pearl Mist. When this was nearly dry I smudged over it, leaving the circles clearly visible but creating a lighter blue wash across the rest of the paper.


I accented some of the circles with watercolor pencils, which I blended with water. 


The Blue Fern Studios chipboard is coloured with the watercolor paints from the kit and accented with Shimmerz Dimensionz and Viva Pearl Pens.


The fussy cut flowers from the Authentique papers were also coloured with the watercolor pencils.




I hope you enjoyed the video and learned a little something and I can't wait to see what you create using this technique!

No comments: