Sunday, March 2, 2014

Mermaid Canvas - Flying Unicorn KOM

Howdy Blogger peeps! How's your weekend going? It's cold here, we're finally getting some of the winter the rest of the continent has been experiencing.

Today's project is a little bit summery. I mean, I'm sure mermaids might live in cold water, too, but you can't fault me for imagining they're warm water creatures.

The Mixed Art add-on from Flying Unicorn always contains a canvas - this month's is a 6x12 wrapped canvas, and along with it there is a package of watercolor paints. I started by painting my background blue and green, then spritzing with water before heat setting. I then liberally sprayed on Lindy's Stamp Gang mists for an incredible shimmer.


I love this new mermaid stamp from Prima! I paper pieced her with pieces of 6x6 Authentique Classique: Elegant collection from the Small Art Big Passion kit, then added detailing with a mix of Shimmerz sprays and watercolor pencils.

I added some extra details to the background with the watercolors, and added some white dots using a Faber-Castell Artist Big Brush Pen.


I love the depth of the 13 Arts stencil included in the add-on. I used 13 Arts Modeling Paste, then painted it once dry with Silks in Mallard and Pretty Peridot.


To create the seafloor, I applied gel medium to the canvas and scrunched kraft-colored tissue paper, then went over the top with more gel medium, followed by glass bead gel and lots of mist, including the Bucaneer Bay Blue Moonshadow Mist from the main kit.

 
A closeup of the colours and textures of the tissue paper.


And finished off with the amazing resist alphas from the main kit.


Thank you for stopping by! Pick up your March kit if you haven't had a chance yet, and check out the Julie Nutting stamps (and other new Prima products) in the Flying Unicorn Store.







No comments: