Sunday, January 31, 2016

Blue Fern Studios January Challenge

Hello Bloggers! It's been a dry month creatively as my Dad passed away, but I did find the time this month for some art therapy playing along with the Blue Fern Studios monthly sketch challenge, one of my favourite monthly challenges. I used papers from the Sanctuary collection - I love the dark, vintage tones in this collection.


Here is this month's inspiring sketch:


I treated a piece of the Software Pieces chipboard with some Shimmerz Dazzlerz, and sprinkled on some Vintage Photos Distress Embossing Powder while it was still wet, then heat embossed the entire thing - it creates a bubbly, pitted texture on the paint and a rougher, rusty look on the embossing powder - then brushed some white gesso over it with my finger once it had cooled. I cut the piece in two to tuck under both sides of my photo.


For the Ornate Shelf chippy, I coated it in embossing ink, then sprinkled on several colors of embossing powder, heat set those, and added some more embossing ink and Distress powder, followed by gesso, for a rusty, worn look.


I also added some Distress powder to the corrugated cardboard under the photo to tie it to the chipboard pieces.


Some metal pieces and textured flowers add a touch of pretty to a masculine layout.


For the background, I stencilled Black Licorice Dazzlerz by Shimmerz through an Andy Skinner mask, then added superfine glitter while it was still wet. Once it had dried, I splattered the background liberally with different mists and some diluted wet gesso.


Thank you for stopping by today!


3 comments:

Scrappinkar said...

I saw your page posted on Facebook (the Paper People page, I think) and your work is just gorgeous! I love each and every element on your page, but think that all of the splatters and ink work really make your great photo just pop! I'm a new follower now!

Valerie Serfozo said...

Hi Jackie. I'm so sorry to hear that you recently lost your father. Your layout is stunning! I love everything about it. Glad you joined us at Blue Fern Studios for our sketch challenge.

Valerie Serfozo said...

Congratulations Jackie! We have featured your layout on the Blue Fern blog today.