Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My July Challenge at Flying Unicorn (featuring the July kit)

Happy Canada Day to my Canadian friends! I hope that you have the day off and are able to enjoy it with family and friends!

It is my turn to host one of our monthly challenges at Flying Unicorn this month, and my challenge for you this month is short and sweet: Black and White. As in 100% black and white. No colour photos, no accent colours, , no coloured flowers or embellishments – everything has to be black and white.

I don’t know about you, but that’s a tall order for me to fill as I love to use bold colours on my projects, but the July kit offered the perfect opportunity to try it out. And the photo I’d chosen to scrap was one I really wanted to highlight, a candid, joyful moment between my dad, who is fighting cancer, and one of my boys, and the black and white format allows the photo to really take centre stage rather than competing with a bold background.


All the supplies for the layout except the super heavy gesso are from the July Your Passion Your Art kit and add-ons.

Here are a couple of closeups: 


I added some masking with one of the awesome 13 Arts masks included in the kit, and sprinkled on some of the 13 Arts Glass Microspheres for a little texture.


I love these Prima resins!


Gorgeous burlap flowers and butterflies from Petaloo.


And to finish it off, some black-on-black splashing with 13 Arts Pastel Black mist.


Rules:

- All Standard Rules apply
- Black and White only, including the photo
Projects must be uploaded by 5pm EST on July 31st to be eligible to win this awesome RAK (winner chosen by www.random.org)



Our challenges are open to everyone, and you do not have to use products purchased from Flying Unicorn to be in the running to win. Come by and join us!

I look forward to seeing your Black and White creations!

No comments: