Friday, April 11, 2014

Great Outdoors

Where do you find your inspiration for your backgrounds? I find inspiration all over the place - in fashion, on labels, in architecture - and the latter inspired the background for this layout. We frequent an Irish restaurant where the decorator added decorative holes in the plaster to reveal the brickwork underneath for an "authentic" feel. The leftover bits from the Shabby Brick Panel were perfect for my interpretation of the effect, and they paired brilliantly with the stone viaduct in my picture (which happens to be the one from the Harry Potter movies).


I wanted to keep the bricks understated, but add some subtle texture, so I painted them with super heavy gesso, and once it dried I sponged some more on for dimension.


The Manor Hinges were painted, then heat embossed in places with Distress Embossing Powder for an aged patina look.


I love the drama of these Pretty Weeds, and painted them with metallic green paint to make a simple statement in my cluster.


Blue Fern Studios Products:

Blue Fern Garden Papers: 
- In Bloom (x2)
- Timeless
- Calling Cards

Blue Fern Studios:
- Shabby Brick Panel
- All Natural Set
- Pretty Weeds
- Manor Hinges

We always love seeing what you create with Blue Fern Studios products, so please remember to share your projects with us in the Blue Fern Gallery!

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Micupoftea said...

Great texture, nice page