Wednesday, October 3, 2012

*** Flying Unicorn *** KOM OTP Reveal

When Alda at Flying Unicorn shipped the October Kit of the Month to the Creative Team she told us that our kids would really enjoy working on our Off The Page (OTP) project with us this month.  And she wasn't wrong.  It is especially fitting in our household, as our kids love to scream "Boo!" at one another and everyone else, all the time.  Once I had Elliot (6) talked out of using cookies and real pumpkin seeds for embellishments we were on a roll!

For our paper mache BOO we were going for a steampunk/Dr. Frankenstein's Laboratory kind of feel, and I'm so happy at the way it turned out.



I wanted one of my O's to be damaged, exposing the gears inside the "machine", so I took my craft hammer and whacked away at it until I was satisfied with the dent I'd created.

To achieve the metal effect we ran foil tape from the hardware store through the BigShot in the Riveted Metal texture fade.  I then removed the backing and adhered to the paper mache, trimming to fit.  We then painted all of the letters with black acrylic paint, and blotted it when it was nearly dry to expose some of the metal underneath.

Here are my two helpers prepping the letters



They did a great job - very little touch-up work by Mum required!


I used my finger to rub in Inka-Gold paints to achieve a worn, rusted look. (In the pictures below you can see how the Inka-Gold covers most of the black but leaves enough showing through on the seams to give it dimension).



Time to embellish!  I wanted to achieve the look of a broken, cobwebby machine.  I took the chipboard gears we received in the main kit and heat embossed them with Platinum UTEE, then cut them to fit the contour I'd created and adhered them with hot glue.  The bats are fussy cut from some Carta Bella paper from my stash and are adhered to thin gauge wire "springs" I created from jewellery wire.



I painted my Dusty Attic spiderwebs with gesso, then heat embossed them with Lindy's Stamp Gang Magic Moon Pearls.


What evil laboratory is complete without brightly coloured Dylusions potions?


The spiderweb transparencies are from my stash and the spiders are from the same Dusty Attic set as the spiderwebs, heat embossed with black UTEE.  The switch plate is a Petaloo Color-Me-Crazy keyhole from the Flying Unicorn store that's been heat embossed with black UTEE and Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powder.  The switch is a drinking straw covered in foil tape and coloured with Alcohol Inks from the store.  The cat is Carta Bella from my stash.


The October Kit Of The Month "A Journey In Time" is currently available in the Flying Unicorn store, along with a selection of fantastic Add-Ons.  Get yours before they're gone!

Thank you for stopping by!





2 comments:

Shona said...

ooooo this is so amazing and look at them having so much fun awwww :)

Stephanie Eaken said...

This is fabulous!! Love the pic of the boys helping out!