Sunday, March 9, 2014

Natural Beauty

I'm up on the Blue Fern Studios blog today with my March projects. This month I've been having a lot of fun playing with the thick, sumptuous Blue Fern Garden papers. What a fantastic accompaniment to Blue Fern Studios chippies!

Here is my second project this month (my first was for the Blue Fern Studios sketch challenge - there is still lots of time to play along here):



I started with the Love Letters paper for my background. I wanted to add some additional details with mists and inks while preserving the lattice pattern on the paper, so I began by covering the lattice with gel medium on a paintbrush. Once dry, this allowed me to wipe away any misplaced mist.


I painted some of the grid pattern with blue mists and splattered some gold and brown mist around to further emphasize the white of the grid. I also added rings of ivory embossing powder to the background.


I wanted the "Natural Beauty" title from the All Natural set to have a curve to it. Because the chipboard is nice and pliable I was able to do so easily; I started by adhering the N with a bead of hot glue, then added the curve, adhering as I went. A nice easy way to add movement to your layout and to further integrate your chippy into your cluster.


For the Shabby Brick Bits, I started by inking them a dark brown, but decided it was too strong for the layout, and added some Lindy's Stamp Gang embossing powder, which is very iridescent. To tone down the green I inked over it with some brown. Don't be afraid to keep playing with your chippies until you are absolutely happy with them - they can take it!

Thank you for stopping by today - I hope Monday is treating you well!

Blue Fern Studios Products Used

Blue Fern Garden Paper:
- Love Letters (2 sheets)

Chipboard:
- Shabby Brick Bits
- All Natural Set




No comments: