Thursday, January 2, 2014

Flying Unicorn January Kit Reveal - Part 1

Happy New Year! I hope that 2014 is off to a good start for you, and wish you peace, love, happiness and health this year. 2014 is sure starting off with a bang for me - Evan, the boys and I are skiing up at the mountain with some of our family for Christmas break, and almost as soon as we get home I will be turning around and leaving again for Los Angeles to attend Prima Art Venture and CHA. I can't wait to reconnect with old friends, meet some more online friends in person, play with new Prima goodies and see what new releases will be coming out soon. Then all my boys, my sister, and hopefully my brother-in-law will be joining me for several days in Disneyland to celebrate my 35th birthday. It's going to be a whirlwind of a month.

Have you had a chance to check out the new format for the Flying Unicorn Kit of the Month? If not, here's a short recap:

The Main Kit remains unchanged, including the awesome Off-The-Page project. But the Add-Ons have been completely redesigned to give you more of what you want now.

The Mixed Art Add-On ($24.99) is a mixed media lover's dream which can be enjoyed on its own or as a complement to the main kit. It includes a canvas and a mix of inks, mists, trinkets, gesso, modelling paste, crackle, etc.

The Mixed Passion Add-On ($24.99) is a mixture of embellishments to complement the main kit, Mixed Art Add-On and Small Art, Big Passion kit. It includes 3-4 packs of flowers, as well as resins, chipboard, trinkets, adornments, lace, trims, etc.

Small Art, Big Passion kit ($19.99) is a mini kit that can be used on its own for cards, tags and ATCs or as a complement to the main kit. It includes 6x6 or A4 papers, lace, trinkets, cardstock and various embellies.

I get all 4, and let me tell you, my 4" deep shipping box was packed to bursting!

On to my first project with the new kit. When the CT received the kit we all had the same question - who was the manufacturer of these gorgeous papers? As it turns out, it is a Prima limited release of Jodie Lee Art Journal papers (click here for a view of each piece of patterned paper), each with a multi-layered background that will get your creative juices pumping.

Young At Art

I took this picture of my kids' and nieces' and nephew's hands after doing some art journalling with them up at the family's summer cabin. We set up a large folding table out on the deck in the sun and let them get messy, and we had great fun!


These thick, sumptuous papers are perfect for distressing, and because of their weight stand up really well to media. I started by stencilling the background using the Prima Butterflies stencil and the amazing 13 Arts Gesso (this stuff is THICK!), then sprayed over it with the Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays from the Mixed Art add-on.


I added some stamping for extra visual interest.


Stencilling with Shimmerz Dazzlerz in Lemon Drop (now back in stock at the Flying Unicorn Store) behind my cluster; I used the 13 Arts Water Paints (love these, they are thick and opaque) on the die cut leaves.


The "art" in my title is one of the chippies from the kit painted with Shimmerz Dimensionz and a touch of gesso.


More touches of 13 Arts paint on corrugated cardboard.

Grab your kit and add-ons while you can - once they're gone, they're gone!

Thanks for stopping by!

Supplies:

From the kit and add-ons:

- Prima Jodie Lee Art Journal papers
- 13 Arts Paints: Matte Coral, Matte Lemon, Matte Pink
- 13 Arts Gesso
- Kaisercraft stamp
- Maya Road words
- Lindy's Stamp Gang Starburst Sprays: Wild Honeysuckle Coral, Maidenhair Fern Green 
- Petaloo and Prima flowers

From my stash:

- Shimmerz Dimensionz Blue Lagoon
- Prima Divine Alphas
- La La Land Dies: Creepy Vines and Large Flourish
- Prima Wooden Birds
- Dylusions White Linen spray
- Dylusions Stencil
- Lindy's Stamp Gang Embossing Powder: Scotch Broom Yellow

No comments: